I developed this recipe for my friend Candy, who asked for a hearty chicken stew with a spicy but not too hot component. See, she's a seniorita so I named this Candy-rita, Candita!
Ingredients
2 Tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1 large white onion, chopped
2-3 ribs of celery, chopped
2-3 medium carrots, chopped (time saver, use shredded carrots)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
½ cup dried Spanish chorizo, keilbasa, or other sausage, finely chopped
2 pounds deli rotisserie chicken, skinned, boned and shredded
2 14-ounce cans chicken broth
2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes with juice
1-2 chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (adjust to desired heat level - I use 2 and the sauce, but I like it hot)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp black pepper
2 Tbsp Chili 3000 (Penzy’s), or 2 Tbsp chili powder, 1 Tbsp cumin
3-4 medium potatoes, cut to bite size pieces
½ cup of your favorite cheese, shredded or crumbled
avocado slices, sour cream, corn tortilla chips, optional
Directions
If you don’t have a rotisserie chicken, you can use chicken breasts or thighs (or any combo). Boil chicken in water with salt for 15 minutes. Remove from the water, reserving broth, let cool until you can debone and fork shred the chicken.
In a medium saucepan, add EVOO and heat over medium high heat. Add chopped onion, and let set to brown slightly. Add chopped celery, and carrots. Cook until veggies just begin to lose crispness. Add chopped garlic, and chopped chorizo or sausage. When the sausage is warmed through, remove from heat and add to reserved chicken broth, or 2 14-ounce cans of chicken broth. Note - if you don’t have cured sausage or chorizo, pan fry fresh sausage and add to the veggies.
Add the remaining ingredients, except the cheese, to the stock, and let simmer for 30 minutes. The longer this sets, the better the flavors will combine. Serve sprinkled with cheese. Garnish with avocado slices, sour cream and corn tortilla chips, if desired. If you would like to add more vegetable “power,” add a can or two of your favorite beans, a poblano (mild) pepper, or chopped kale, cabbage or chard.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
SO FANTASTIC! and I am SO excited!!! You should enter this into a food contest! I am going to make it this weekend. THANK YOU!! (HUGS)
ReplyDeleteI see the note about the chipotle pepper. This recipe is terrific. I hope you'll have some folks try it out.
ReplyDelete