Monday, November 9, 2009

Holy Guacamole!!

I "borrowed" this recipe, and tweaked it for our needs, from http://kraftingwithkaren.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-do-you-eat-doritos.html

Gluten Free Mexican Cassarole
1 lb lean ground meat, browned and rinsed, set aside

2 Tbs olive oil
1 whole onion (any variety) chopped
handful of shredded or chopped carrots
1 stalk celery chopped
1 bell pepper (any color) chopped,, or anaheim or poblano
1 pkg white mushroom caps sliced
Saute these in the oil until soft, add salt and pepper at the end

1 can black or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can golden hominy
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies, or equal amount fresh salsa
3 Tbs Penzey's 3000 Chili powder
1 Tbs Penzey's Adobo powder
Mix these together with the drained meat, and sauteed veggies.

half a regular sized bag of Tostitos white corn chips (gluten free)
1 cup shredded cheese
Pre-Heat oven to 350

Layer the meat mixture in the bottom of a cassarole dish. Distribute the crushed chips on top. Sprinkle cheese on top of chips. Heat in oven for about 45 minutes. Serve with some fat free sour cream and guacamole (or just slices of fresh avocado sprinkled with lemon juice). I also like it with the chopped avocado mixed in with the meat and baked.

Please let me know how you like this - or how you adapt it for your families! I think it would be great as enchiladas, too!

~ky

2 comments:

  1. awesome! I'll have to try it this way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete