Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sassy Pans

I love breakfast, I just rarely eat it in the right portion of the day. Getting the diabetes diagnosis was hard to hear, but really reinforced the need to eat regularly. So, I'm dusting off one of the classic things I used to make.

Not-Yo-Average Hashbrowns
(single serving - double, triple, etc. to suit your situation)

1 zucchini squash OR 1 crookneck/ summer/ yellow squash
1 shallot
1 potato
salt & pepper
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
2 eggs

Grate the squash, shallot and potato, or julienne chop them, as you prefer, add salt and pepper, and toss them together to mix. Heat a skillet, and add just enough oil to keep your veggies from sticking. I prefer extra virgin olive oil. Add the veggies in clumps so that most of the surface touches the pan - mash it down a little more if you prefer your hashbrowns crispy. Turn the hashbrowns only once. When golden brown (to your liking), remove from the skillet.

Turn the heat down on the skillet, and make your eggs your favorite way. An option I enjoy is scrambling in a couple of eggs just before the hashbrowns are done for a pseudo omelette. Add peppers, cheese, and other things as you like. Enjoy!

Ciao!
~ky

No comments:

Post a Comment