3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 28 oz can enchilada sauce
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
1 whole onion, chopped and sauted
2 bell peppers, chopped and sauted with onions
8 oz shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 cup sour cream (more for serving)
1 11 oz bag Nacho Cheese Doritos crushed
2 bell peppers, chopped and sauted with onions
8 oz shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 cup sour cream (more for serving)
1 11 oz bag Nacho Cheese Doritos crushed
1 small can sliced olives
1 small can diced green chilies (I prefer Hatch)
1 chipotle pepper with some adobo sauce from the can
1 small can of diced tomatoes with chilies, drained
1 small can diced green chilies (I prefer Hatch)
1 chipotle pepper with some adobo sauce from the can
1 small can of diced tomatoes with chilies, drained
I cook the chicken briefly in salted boiling water, just to get things moving along and to have warm food going into a warm pot. I give it a rough chop, put it in the crock pot, cover the chicken with the enchilada sauce and walk away for 5 hours.
Fork-shred the chicken while still in the pot with the sauce. Add beans, corn, cheese, onions, peppers, sour cream, crushed Doritos, olives, green chilies, chipotle, and diced tomatoes. Stir well and check for seasoning. You may need some salt, you might want some taco seasoning.
Note: Some recipes reserve some cheese and chips for the top at this point. I did that once and didn't care for the texture it created. It was hard to cut through the top because the cheese and chips created a tight layer. I just mix mine all in. Your choice.
Continue cooking according to your needs. If you have time, let it go another hour or two on low. If you're ready to dive in, crank the pot to high and give it a half-hour.
Note: Some recipes reserve some cheese and chips for the top at this point. I did that once and didn't care for the texture it created. It was hard to cut through the top because the cheese and chips created a tight layer. I just mix mine all in. Your choice.
Continue cooking according to your needs. If you have time, let it go another hour or two on low. If you're ready to dive in, crank the pot to high and give it a half-hour.
Serve with cilantro sour cream (just add chopped fresh cilantro to the cream), chopped tomatoes, extra cheese, salsa, guacamole, and any other condiments you like.
This really develops deeper flavors on the next day, so look forwards to leftovers!
No comments:
Post a Comment