Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Haw-island Chicken (GF)

I went to the pantry tonight after having set out some chicken breasts to thaw. I was looking for friends for the chicken and I saw a can of pineapple! YUM!

Haw-Island Chicken
(Made on Hallowe'en with Island fruit!)

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 inch ginger root, minced
4 chicken breasts, chunked
1 can sliced pineapple (chunks are great too) in juice, reserve the juice
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp salt, to taste
2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar

Place a skillet over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and pepper and saute until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and ginger root, and let everything soften. Add the chunks of breast meat, turning frequently. Take a couple tablespoons of the pineapple juice in a small bowl, and stir in the cornstarch until dissolved. When the chicken loses its pink color, add the remaining pineapple juice and slurry. Cook until the juice thickens and the chicken is done. Serve with warm rice.

Because of dietary restrictions here in our home, I elected to serve the following on the side, but you could just as easily added any or all to the pan as you go: Sriracha pepper sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar and black pepper. Remember, I present this recipe as is - as made in my kitchen it is gluten free. Always check your ingredients for food allergens or other sneaky culprits. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment