Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Chicken in Mushroom Sauce

This meal came about because we didn't have a lot of components on hand, it was late so we needed something fast, and I didn't feel up to a lot of chopping or manipulating of ingredients. It turned out so well that I know I will be making this again!

Chicken in Mushroom Sauce

2 Tbsp butter
1 shallot, chopped
1 cup brown rice
2 cups water (or broth)
1 tsp salt

Heat a sauce pan, melt the butter, saute the shallots briefly. Add the rice, stir to coat and toast, then add the salt and water. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cover, cooking until the rice is tender.

Meanwhile...

4 Tbsp butter
1 red onion, chopped
2 cups sliced mushrooms (baby bellas)
2 chicken breasts, chunked
Aleppo pepper flakes, to taste
salt, pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 generous cup of milk (I use fat free)

Melt the butter in a large skillet and saute the onion. Add the mushrooms and chicken, cooking the chicken through. Add salt, pepper and Aleppo flakes - simmer a few minutes. Mix the cornstarch into the cold milk, then add to the pan. Bring to a boil to allow the cornstarch to thicken, then cook until the sauce takes the flavor of the mushrooms. Check and re-season if necessary. Serve over rice.

There are so many ways to take this dish. I want to try adding peas, poblano peppers, use wild rice, the list is never-ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment